Monday, October 5, 2009

“I like refried beans. I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time.”- Anonymous

I'm not sure if this was the point, but here's what I experimented with. The rule I decided to break was the concept of wasting time. Being the procrastinator that I am, I get accused of wasting time all the time, but most of the time I feel like my best work comes from being under pressure. Here's where I run into problems. When I feel really inspired to do something I always want to do them, but in my mind have made myself believe that I can't do these things until I can justify doing them. For instance, recently I got an idea to do a poster contest that I saw online. I got an awesome idea that I was really excited to create, but after reading the rules I found out that mine would probably not be accepted because visually it could be comprehended in a way that it wasn't intended to be and I would be automatically disqualified. It was not R rated in any way, but the meaning could be taken the wrong way. So, in short I didn't make it.
Awhile ago I got inspired to make this character design that's been in my head, but couldn't find a reason to make her. Every time I would start to create her I would figure out that I should be working on homework, rather than doing something that I found enjoyable, but had no reason behind it besides pure curiosity to what I can do. For this, breaking rules project I got to finally get a solid start to it and get myself back to being excited rather than thinking maybe sometime I might pick it back up.
So, in writing this, I realize that I really did exactly what I've always been doing. I still justified and reasoned myself into being alright with making this project, but here's what may be my saving grace. It will help in the future. I know, I don't need to justify doing projects that excite me. Sometimes, yes, I should prioritize, but me time is also important. And I took way more than 3 hours of me time this week. Eventually justified by leveling my priorities, but I did get some hours of doing just what makes me happy and not caring whether it mattered to anyone else. Yeah.... I'm rambling now, but it's all good.

P.s. I'll probably explain my character design in class. And show the part that's been started.

No comments:

Post a Comment