Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'm Kristina.

"So, who the hell are you?"
Was the question that started last night's class and I much admit the first thing I thought was, "I'm Kristina." That's my name, and how people know me, if they actually know me. I think I'll start by explaining the exercise and what I did for it before explain my own take one who I am.
When we paired up and went our separate ways, I partnered up with Samantha, someone who I didn't know very well, but was intrigued by because she had put such a vivid image in my head after the first assignment. I learned a lot about Samantha when we got to talking. Things about her childhood, present life, and her interests. We started off by telling each other our basic life story. She has a very interesting life, but none of it seemed to stick out to me as something that defines her. After we finished discussing that we started just chatting about some random things and telling stories. That's where I started making connections.
I had a lot of trouble making what I wanted to express because it just didn't seem like something palpable. I started seeing that Sam is a very caring person. She talked of how she gives her friend a ride halfway across campus at night because she doesn't like the idea of her walking alone that late and that far and of how she woke up at 3a.m. that morning to try to save a wounded animal she heard outside of her house. I thought that was really impressive. So, my word is caring. I have no idea how to express that on paper with no writing utensils or adhesive, but that's what I'm gonna stick with.
For myself, I'm explaining myself as eclectic. If you ask anyone who knows me there will be a conglomeration of words that define me, most people would say "bubbly" which is true and defines me, but there's also "independent", "determined", and in all honesty "self-conscious". I'm still a believer that a person is defined by their personality. I have many loves, passions, and talents, but all of that is expressed through my personality and how I react in a given situation. My past does not define me. I just want to make that clear. It may have helped to shape my personality and how I act at times, but if someone tried to judge me on my past they would be sadly mistaken about a lot things. Anyways, I chose eclectic and made this:

It's supposed to be kind of like a bowl with a lot stuff in it. I should've added some random things to it to emphasize eclecticism, but here's what I thought about. Anytime I hear the word "eclectic" I think of a psychology class I took awhile back. The teacher described eclecticism as if being in a candy store with all sorts of things to choose from. So now I always think of something like a quarter machine that has a whole bunch of different things in it. Well, I couldn't very well do that with paper. So that's my substitute.
But I'm still sticking with my first instincts.
Who the hell am I?
I'm Kristina, that's the one thing that will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment